Sunday, April 24, 2011

Reviews: Buffett in Raleigh

Jimmy Buffett came to Raleigh last week (Apr. 19) and like most local Parrotheads I took the day off work and ventured out to taligate and see the show.  I have been to many many Buffett shows in various states and am pretty critical, especially after the poor tailgating experience in Raleigh a few years ago.  I had originally planned to have my bestfriends come down from MD/VA for the show, but since it was on a Tuesday they could not make it.  I then found out that my Aunt would be in town so Paul and I ended up going with my Mom and my Aunt.  First rule of the parking lot, claim your tailgating spot!  We did and ended up in one of the best tailgating spots that Walnut Creek has to offer (people were actually mad at us).  Anyway, we made nice and handed out margarita and pina colada cupcakes.  Soon our tailgate neighbors became our best friends.  Paul and I went on the mandatory walk-about (adventure around the parking lot) and although it was nothing compared to the shows I have seen in VA and FL, everyone was a lot of fun and I even scored a new Lanshark Lager banner to display at the next tailgate.  Overall the tailgate experience was fun... but not enough to continue writing about...

Onto the show.  While Ilo opened I maneuvered my party through the crowds in the lawn until we were front and center.  Then the show began and when Buffett opened with Wino and I Know, I knew it would be a good show!  While most people sat during the 'ole stuff' and everyone stood during the 'yellow CD songs' I was the opposite.  Screaming and yelling like a 12 year old at a Justin Bieber concert and sang to every song.  Below is a list of my favorites...

The Wino and I Know
Off to See the Lizard (with new verse about falling off stage in Australia
Life is Just a Tire Swing
Great Filling Station Holdup
Lady I Can't Explain
School Boy Heart
Sending the Old Man Home
Chanson Pour Les Petits Enfants
Coast of Carolina
In the City (with Mac)
Survive

This is a list of a lot of really great songs and I can't believe how many more greats are out there.  This show seemed more like a tribute to true fans than just catering to the Buffett fans for a day and I really appreciated that!  This was reinforced by the few other die hards I could hear screaming in the crowds 'His best friend Magnus right by his side... once around Venus twice around Mars.'  He did not play Drunk and Screw and I could not be happier!  The weather could not have been more perfect!  Now summer has officially begun and it will not end until the VA show in August. 







Fins Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment