Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fashion: Let's Update my Look

I recently began receiving subscriptions to Cosmo and Elle magazines and I am following Rachel Zoe on twitter. These influences, along with the fact that I feel pretty good about myself these days has led me to want to update my look. The problem is that I have had a lot of trouble finding trendy clothes that look good, fit well and are age appropriate. Banana Republic, J-Crew and Ann Taylor can only do so much and are not as trendy as I would like. Express and Limited are ok, but in my head I am looking for the cover of Elle! So, in an attempt to expand my boring wardrobe I tried to shop at the department stores. The problem is that I am finally admitting to myself that I am too old to shop in the junior section (well, let’s be honest… those shorty-shorts really did the trick). So off to the ladies department where I found many older old ladies shopping for frumpy outfits. I then proceed to mope around the mall in the hopes that I will find something, anything that I sort of like. I did see a shirt on a mannequin outside of Hollister that I really liked. I entered fearing that I would be laughed at, but under cover of darkness I am not sure anyone could really tell my age. I quickly found the shirt and grabbed one two sizes up from normal (since there clothes are intended to fit Barbie, and not a girl the size of Barbie, actually Barbie). I proceeded to hold my breath and find my way to the register – victory… one shirt. Hasn’t everyone seen that 30 Rock episode, #true.
After declaring the mall a complete waste I felt defeated. I thought I would have to buy everything online and then deal with returning everything when it inevitably did not fit until… I decided to try out the local boutique. I pass Gigi’s Boutique every time I go to the grocery store. I always like the clothes in the window, but for some reason I always felt a bit scared of boutiques. I think I have been scared that I would not be able to afford the clothes or not be classy enough and the salesgirl would peer down at me like a child. But with the realization that I can no longer shop in the junior departments equally came the realization that I am no longer a child. I also realized that the department stores are not inexpressive! Encouraged by these thoughts I entered the boutique to find a very friendly salesgirl who helped me fill my dressing room. I tried on pretty much everything and left with several outfits. Mission accomplished!

If I want to buy relaxed or inexpensive clothes I will stick to the outlets or Old Navy, but for everything else I am going to skip the heartache of the mall and head straight to the boutiques. Hopefully I can hit these boutiques when traveling and build an ‘awesome’ wardrobe that Rachel Zoe would approve of (for me anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment